Monday, January 27, 2020

Best Friend by Roy Choi

So looking around for interesting food to make reservations for in Vegas. 
Came up on Best Friend, and my travel mate also wanted to try it because the chef was in Jon Favureau's show.  Then I'm glad we both saw the same thing.
The set up is definitely out of sort with the rest of the fancy-ness of the Park MGM.  You walk in, it looks like a convenient store, bodega even.  And one side has the counter that people can sit and it leads to the hostess stand. 

The rest of the space is actually part of the bar.  But because the decor is of the sort of a store, you eye pretty much have to adjust to even see it clearly.  After they led us to the plastic curtains, is the main dining area, which opens up to be huge.
They started you out with some Hawaiian rolls, but they're glazed.
My iced tea came in the Party Red cup.
Got the Banchan Sampler, it's not as fulfilling as I had expected from a K-fusion place.

It has picked daikon, spinach, sprout, pickled cucumber, kimchi, the aforementioned rolls, and broccolini in the middle.   I'm used to potato, eggplant, anchovies... etc.  Definitely was lackluster there.
This is their version of Tteok-bokki (rice cake), which is definitely not the traditional ones.
Once you mix it all up, you see the rice cake mixed with cheese, braised beef and veggie.  It was interesting looking but not bad in taste.
Here's the KBBQ Spicy Pork dish that comes with a bowl of rice.
Sizzling hot plate of pork.  It is very spicy but if you have enough rice, it'll do the trick for me.

For Vegas, sit down meal, the price is about the same.  For K-Fusion, I had more expectation than what I saw.  Taste-wise, it is on point for sure.  I know that he was at the advent of Food Truck movement and been cooking for a long time, which I appreciate.  The dishes seems to be more suitable for a high-end Vegas Chinatown, than on Strip.  Maybe I should've ordered other dishes and see if that makes a difference.  Other than the kitsch part of the entry, the rest is neutral for me.

Best Friend
inside Park MGM
3770 S.Las Vegas Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89109
702-730-6770
https://parkmgm.mgmresorts.com/en/restaurants/best-friend.html

No comments: