Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bess Bistro

On our last night in Austin, David said, let's go to the Sandra Bullock's restaurant. Now, I know, I'm not going to see her at the restaurant, but you know you secretly hope that she's there. That way you can tell your friends that you saw her while you were eating at her place. I guess since it's located in such a centrally located place, that would be very cliche'. And no, we didn't see her there.
Their menu, has enough of a variety that there is a little bit of something for everybody. What caught my eye is the quail. I'm a big quail fan, but besides BRC, I don't see many places offer it as a casual dining.

So I had asked for harlot vert inside of lentils and forgot how much I loved the harlot vert. Nice and crispy and goes very well with the quail.
For dessert, we ordered the creme brulee. It tasted like it just came out of the oven, cool enough to top the sugar on top and torched. Personally, I liked the brulee to be cold out of the fridge and then add sugar for the crust. It also wasn't as flavorful as I had hoped.

Over all, the food wasn't exceptionally anything. They do use local producers and truly farms to table style food. The decor was very nice, half of it feels very speakeasy like, with hard wood floor and cushed wall panels. The other half is like a little French underground bistro, where you have these big wooden booth that seats 6 for a nice communal feel. The neat thing was their bathroom has their own scent, and it is very French from pictures down to the water knobs.

BESS Bistro on Pecan
500 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 477 BESS (2377)
http://www.bessbistro.com/

No comments: