Monday, March 5, 2012

My first Rodeo

This is truly my first Rodeo. Yes, you wouldn't think that being in Houston for over 16 years, I've never been to a rodeo. So when a friend of mine send out a blast about going to the cookoff, on a whim, I said yes and dragged my friend with me. Luckily for me, I brought a friend who knows no stranger, which makes social situation more fun.

Apparently, cookoff is the real tent city. They may have some great looking fronts, from wooden setup to glass door. Ours has a porch.
You see all the work from the side. The giant grill is doing all the work, and so are the cookoff team.
The end results, we have ribs, pulled pork, spicy sausage, chicken, and chopped beef. There's a large dose of bbq sauce, and a side of pre-made potato salad. As far as bbq goes, the meat was good, and you can tell it was well prepared. This is the first time at a bbq that doesn't have bread, and dessert not ready.

If you're lucky to go to another tent, you'll see alot of cooking team, and some have bbq catered. You will find that alcohol basically freely flowing. And as the night goes, who cares about the food... there's beer. I can see how people can hang there all night and every tent has their own security, armed or not. That was kinda interesting, but don't get lost!

My tip to you, go early. Don't park there, do a park and ride, or park somewhere and take the rail. Round trip rail is $2.50. Safe yourself the hassle of sitting at the parking lot. Do yourself a favor, and bring some TP, because there's no guarantees in the Port-o-Potty line. Lucky for us, we got the luxury to check before doing our business, but there are stalls that don't have TPs.

Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
http://www.hlsr.com/
Houston

No comments: