Friday, November 16, 2012

Macaron Class at SLT City Centre

It's not often that I get to go to City Centre for a class.  So when the menu looks right, I was looking forward to go... what else but of course, macaron can draw me there. 
I liked the instructor enough and I know that she is trained like all of their instructors are, the good part is that she is also a very good entertainer.  She does joke about things in order to make a point, and I'm down with humor.
Sometimes it's good to have different instructors on the same subject matter is that you get different angle on how to do something.  I think for that, it's worth money to go to the same class with a different teachers.
Of course, the disadvantage is that if they're not an expert of the subject matter, that doesn't help troubleshooting when you're stuck.  For instance, I knew that SLT changed the chocolate macaron recipe from the last class at River Oaks.  But this instructor didn't know the updated version will not turn out, nor did she realized that to fix it.  The other RO instructor did a test batch and knew that it came out funny.
The other thing, which can happen anywhere, and that is grumpy students or attitudinal people in class. We were stuck with a know it all lady who was grumpy... the teacher tried to get everyone a chance to do everything from whipping to piping, to mixing the batter.  This lady was like, oh I've done it before, I don't need to do it; I'm thinking: I've done it that many times and I take advantage any chance I get to practice... this is a picky cookie, it's not as easy as people think.  Another lady who hogs all the practice opportunity where her group tried to squeeze her out.  I feel bad for her, but the teacher specifically said to share... so not sure why they don't play nice.  Again, nothing the teacher can do about it, but I don't usually have those issues in River Oaks.
Otherwise, the baking basics were in tact.  You should always pipe up and down and avoid it showing up like poop.  Sad little macarons doesn't look pretty at all... :(  They came out funky.
Definitely not as pretty as the last class where they are nice and flat on the top and feet pied perfectly.  It still tasted good, it didn't last as long as the other ones did, these cracked very easily because the batter is under whipped, but that's just me guessing.

This location is definitely in the chic part of the area, but the store and kitchen was smaller than the RO place.  It is hard to imagine how they can fill up 16 people, with the instructor, and the helpers.  They only have one sink for students to wash hands and you waste time just standing in line waiting for that.

Aside from that, the quality is same as the other SLT classes, very concise, moved along and not have a lot of lull.  

Sur La Table City Centre
Town and Country Ln, ste 101
Houston, TX 77024
http://www.surlatable.com/browse/storeCalendar.jsp?storeId=089

No comments: