Monday, April 23, 2018

Killen's STQ

Got the opportunity to go to STQ with work people.  I love it, because that means we got to share more plates and try more new things. 
This is the smoked short rib ravioli.  I don't think people appreciate the smoked rib as they hold.  The sauce was flavorful, the rib itself is delightful and I wish there's more of it.
This is the Grilled Octopus with smoked hummus, with grilled tomato and cured lemon.  Again, I think people didn't quite like it because of the grilled octopus.  It is actually very nicely grilled and the octopus is pretty fresh.
This has to be the all time favorite for the table - pecan smoked pork belly with cherry habanero BBQ.  Everyone was grabbing a piece, and plates were emptied within a few minutes.  They reminds me of burnt ends at steakhouse in Beaumont.
Here's some sides before the entree: brussel sprouts. Yet another under appreciated dish, maybe because it's the shadow from early childhood.  But theirs is very nicely done, fried and then have light soy sauce drizzled.
Smoked Gouda mac and cheese, it was so good-a.  It is a tad more watery on the cheek than I am used to.  But last time, I remembered it to be cheesier.
Au Gratin Potato - another table favorite.  The potato wasn't too heavy, but of course I only indulged so lightly.  I can easily eat the entire pan by myself.
This is my entree - yes it's a black block
This is a short rib...
... see, there's even a bone to prove it.  It's huge.  It is smoked with salt and pepper rubbed and has espresso BBQ sauce.  It is so marinated that you put your fork in and the bone will separate easily.  It was so delicious.  Now, granted I barely hit half of it, and took the other half and ate it over several meals, but it's well worth it, because it was still awesome as leftovers.
For dessert, I got the pear four ways, which you can see 2 ways here, sliced and cooked.  The cake itself is a cinnamon pear cake with mascarpone covered by chocolate and cookie crumbs.  I can't figure out the fourth one, if you know, please comment.

The meal is super nice.  The service is top notch.  If you've been to STQ before, you know the place is small.  You should always make a reservation there, though we went during the week and it was easy to fit a large group, and yes, we do have a reservation.  As usual, plates are best shared, and basically, you can do no wrong with whatever you order here.  That said, we all did some homework before walking in.

Killen's STQ
2231 S. Voss Rd
Houston, TX
713-586-0223
https://www.killensstq.com

No comments: