Monday, July 23, 2018

Kata Robata

It's been a while since I came back to Kata.
Trust me, it's not by design, sometimes I gave up because of the parking situation, some times I pure get distracted and forget.  
We made it just in time for last call on Happy Hour.  Guess what, we braved it and got everything on the appetizer list.  WHA!!!
To start, we got the Agadashi Tofu, love the warm sauce and hope that my tofu don't soak up too much of it and fall apart on me.  Just love this dish!
Pork Belly Bun, this time, I think I tasted the other stuff more than I tasted the pork belly.
Kobe Beef Taco, it was light and easy going.  Flavorful in small bites.
Chicken Skewers, pretty tasty, after all, they are a Robata bar, should churn out yummy skewers.
Vegetable Gyoza, it is more flavorful than meets the eye.  It was a nice surprise.
This is the Texas Kobe Yakiniku Roll, it is with cooked beef, in case you're curious or unsure.  And there's cucumber, onion, and greens.
Fresh Catch Ceviche with Taro Chips.  You're supposed to grab a full bite of the fish and put it on top of the chip and dip the yellow sauce.  Either way, it's delicious, just get it!
Oyster Mushroom on skewers, pretty good, nice and soft and easy to absorb taste.
Shishito Peppers, out of all the grilled peppers, this is the only kind that I'd eat. 
Yuzu Marinated Salmon Sashimi, which has yuzu juice, olive oil, vinaigrette, cauliflower mousse (which I've never had it like that before), dried kumquat (also never had before).  To eat this, it is best to take a piece of long salmon, and put the cauliflower mousse in the the middle with the dried kumquat, or the little crunch and wrap it up and then eat it in one bite.  It is pretty darn good.  Definitely getting this again.
Brussels Sprouts - yummy!
This is Fish and Fish, which is a huge piece of grilled piece, and you definitely need to dip the sauce to go with it.
Got some uni sushi, really a redemption round after the not-so-good experience at Nobu.
This is amberjack with foie gras, which is one of my go to dishes here at Kata.  This time, however, the foie gras is not as flavorful as they were in the past.
This is the Oxtail Ramen.... eh, who am I kidding?!  By the time we ate all the food you saw before this picture.  I cannot stomach another bite of food... I did have the egg and some of the noodles.  The broth is so full of flavor and the noodles are the kind that has good elasticity, which sometimes house-made noodles don't get.  I did enjoyed the little bit I had.  Maybe have to save more room in my tummy for this next round.
This is the Banana Creme Brûlée.  I know it's uncommon sounding and I did belly ache about how much I ate before this.  That said, this is pretty delightful and to my surprise too.  It is creamy but not the traditional vanilla kinda of way.  It's more banana creme kinda of way.  They put a spray of Nutella Mousse in the corner, so if you take a dip of that with the brûlée and the fruit, it is so good... I'm surprised, since I don't usually do dessert here, and this turned out pretty good.

I think our server was surprised that we ordered so much food between 2 people.  As a matter of fact, we packed alot of it home.  But oh my, it was all so good, no regrets there!  As always, unless you're coming during off peak, always make a reservation for dinner service.  Trust me, you won't be sorry.

Kata Robata
3600 Kirby Dr
Suite H
Houston, TX 77098
713-526-8858
https://www.katarobata.com

No comments: