Thursday, July 12, 2018

Myung Dong

I was watching my K-Drama, and totally makes me crazy Korean food.
I typed Ddukbokki in Yelp, and this place came up.  Not necessary for ddukbokki but for their tang (soup) and seafood pancake.
First off, I love that Korean food give you all the side dishes.  However, no place in Houston does a Korean restaurant serve mini anchovies. They typically comes in kimchi, sprouts, tofu in some form (spicy or not), greens of some kind, and they here given us kim-chi-ed pickles.
This is a huge plate of bulgogi, don't get me wrong, love my beef, just volume-wise, more than I expected.  Hooray for leftovers.  I think I'd like it to be less juicy, bulgogi, typically don't have that much juice around it.  Flavor is fine, could use more of it.  But more importantly, I don't have to cook it.
Purple rice.  I just love it.  Not that it tasted different, but just not something I get regularly, it's such a treat.
Don't mind me, I'm working on my photo taking skills... doesn't it makes you hungry?!
Seafood Pancakes.  Don't think: ah, that's nice.  This thing in reality is huge. Took me several meals to finish it off, it's that big.  I'd say, the diameter is almost as big as my laptop, and it's cut into many pieces.  If you come with a big party, this is a great share.  

The flavor is good.  Not too burnt, but added the crunch.  There are shrimp, squid, crab, veggies.  The best part, after you take it home and heat it up, it's still tastes good.  This totally holds up.
Ddukbokki!!!  When I watch my K-Drama, they go to street stalls and eat this.  They would stand there and just hang out, especially when it's cold outside.  Well, for us in Houston, it's hot as heck, but since we're in A/C, I guess it can pass.  

Surprisingly enough, it looks like lots of chili on it, it's not super spicy.  It has enough for taste, but overall, I can finish it decent enough.  What is ddukbokki?  It is Korean rice cake, but really, it this thick noodle form.  It can pack alot of taste, but if you don't add enough, it can also has no taste.  Chinese has a similar version of the food but it's more salty and savory, than sweet and sour kinda taste.  Sometimes you see them in soup, stir fried, or steamed.  

Only trouble with ddukbokki is that when it is cold, everything congeal, and when you try to heat it up, if it's not heated up evenly, the cold parts are hard as a rock.  So kids, don't try that at home.

Overall, Myung Dong is a mom and pop shop in a corner of a small strip center.  It is on the edge of Sharpstown, and it stands out with its odd shaped windows covered in green.  The ajumma (little old lady) runs the shop speaks very little English but between pointing and smiling, your order won't be wrong.  They also has a helper, so that helps.  For credit card, they have a $20 minimum, which between the 3 dishes, we hit that already, but bring cash just in case.

Myung Dong
6415 Bissonnet St
Houston, TX 77074
713-779-5530

No comments: