Tuesday, February 19, 2019

HLSR - Best Bites Competition - Uncorked!

So fun to get to go to Rodeo Uncorked another year.
This event really signifies the start of the Rodeo season.  The rest is really just pictures...
 This is Goodnight Charlie's Salpicon Tostada - mesquite smoked beef, on a house made tostada, tomato, onion, radish, and lime.  Pretty good.
 This is Teriyaki Chicken from Kuu, which I left they went on the safe route or that's the closest to BBQ.  Taste great, but I know they can do better.  The other dish is a sesame brownie, that was surprisedly tasty.
 Next up: Hot Duck Dog from Revival Market.  I've been a big fan of their breakfast, but don't usually get hot dogs from them.  The duck sausage has a hint of sweet, not dry at all, and the toppings were unique besides radish, all made in-house.  Yummo!
 They also have a food truck category, and there's 5 food truck featured in this showcase.  One of them: Gumbo Xpress.  They, of course, brought gumbo.   
 They have a chicken and andouille sausage gumbo.  My only complaint is that the roux was too light, not think enough for my liking.
 Then, it's Breaking Bao, which is a good concept.
 What they brought, I also felt it was on the safe side.  This is the Korean Chicken Bao, the chicken is crispy with pickled cucumber and cole slaw.  I checked out their menu, I think I'll try to catch them during their regular gig.
 From Wokker, TX, they brough Surfin' Turfin' pan roast.  It is a little dome of rice, with a slice of meat and shrimp.  I did't get what kind of mea that was, but the sauce, was awesome.  I was definitely licking my spoon.
 From Eunice, Blue Crab and Shrimp étouffée.  I was expecting a little more flavor, but the shrimp was good.
 From HCC cooking school, they did a pork and shrimp shumai, to my surprise, it went super well with a glass of Reisling I was drinking from the next booth over.  They really should struck a deal right there on the spot.  
 Chocolate Churro from Killen TMX.  Of course, you cannot go wrong w/ churro.  Not pictured: corn empanada.  It was corn on the outside and corn on the inside.  THat's just too corny for me.  I liked their sauce, but that was not enough to make up for the corn-ness of the dish.
 From Ra Sushi - Spicy Salmon Bowl - it's like a mini poke bowl because it has some rice at the bottom of the cup.
 From Eddie V's, Ahi Tuna tartare with mango chunks on corn chip topped with sesame and greens.  For a small bite, that packed a punch.  I definitely wanted more.
 Holy Paella - I love paella and that's got to be a ginormous wok to cook for that many people.  From Fig & Olive, this is chicken paella with peas and chicken skin and their sauces.  I'd only known them to do crostini and tapas, didn't realized they do paella as well.  Very impressed.
 From The Grove, Lobster Cocktail.  They really spare no expense, every bite has a sizable chunk of lobster.
 Here's  line worth waiting in (Besides Killen's), was Uchi.  This is salmon with bits of thinly sliced kiwi and with truffle oil.  Sooooooo good. I'm already a fan of theirs.
 This is interesting, I didn't realized that Saint Arnold's is here.  I was hoping to taste some beer, but got to taste their Curry Chicken Salad.  It is definitely has a kick to it.  
 Yummy skirt steak with pesto and mashed potato from Texas de Brazil.
 From Harold's, smoked pulled pork with grits.  Not one of my favorite.
 Yauatcha, I just love the presentation. 
 This is their mini version of tropical dome which was passionfruit mix with pineapple, on top of a biscuit.  It was rimmed by coconut shreds, super yummy.
From Weight and Measure, it's meat and grits. 
 Did somebody mentioned cheese?  I love this little sassy cowboy rat.  Whole thing made out of cheese.
 Very cool and creative dish from Eculent down in Kemah.  They have Cotton Candy wrapping pork belly with fire salt on top.  So the candy is not super sweet, and the salt mix well with the transition to the pork belly.  It was definitely a surprise getting to the middle.  
 Got a pop from Popfancy.  I got the mangonada flavor.  The mango tastes super fresh.  I will say, I didn't care too much as I got to the chammy sauce at the bottom.  The rest are pretty good though.
Here's the end of the eating journey.  We ate and ate and ate.  In between there are several lobster bisques, couple gumbos, couple more meat of some kind.  Too much to post them all.  This is definitely a super fun event.  As we were walking out, we even got free Junior League cookbook.  Of course our glasses are something to take home.  I look forward it every year.  

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
Best Bite Competition
Rodeo Uncorked
https://www.rodeohouston.com
#rodeouncorked

No comments: