Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Bao Shi Yi

Came across this cute places thanks to some foodie friends.
The concept sounded pretty unique and if they paired with good food, that is a great idea.
They have matching dishes to their decor.
This said, if human don't eat or drink, then freshness will not be known.  Very true indeed.
So, we got the soy milk, which is warm and not sweetened.
Chinese Donut, which don't get it wrong, it's not sweet at all.  It best go with the soy milk.  A lot of times, I just dip one into the other and enjoy it that way.
This kind of Xiao Long Bao was different, they were not the thin skin/wrapper that I'm used to.  This is like Char Siu Bao kinda bun, not thin noodle wrap.  The problem with this kind of bun as wrapper is that any soup that is in there got absorbed into the bun, which I think it's part of XLB experience, the soup and the meat.  Don't get me wrong, the meat is just fine, just not sure I like this style of bao.
Here's their pancake with egg.  So, it's a thin noodle-like pancake, and they fried an egg in the mix, which solidify that skin.  The rest of the consistency is like a crepe thinness.  Then you pick veggie, meat and sauce.
I got sausage, fried wonton, and onion.  It's definitely unique and different.  And in terms of sauce, your choices are spicy or not spicy.  Seeing that I'm not that much of a fan for a spicy dish, I forgo it, but I'm thinking maybe a little bit is worth having.

Anyway the place has a constant turnaround.  As folks comes in, there's folks going.  So, even though the place is small and you worry there won't be a table, they turn around pretty quickly. 

I do have to note that I've seen alot of Braised Pork Noodle in various tables, so I'm guessing that's also something they're good at, and that'll be my next dish when I go.  Parking might be a bit tight, but doable.  Just pay attention where you park.

Bao Shi Yi
9175 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77036
832-925-7913

No comments: