Monday, August 15, 2011

Aka Sushi

I've always liked to go to AKA Sushi. They're the only place I know in town that has a sushi roll that uses Doritos as part of the ingrident. They do have really good sushi, I feel that their fish is fresh and plus my favorit waiter of all time works there. I'm bias!
By accident, we got there during Happy Hour. And we should've known better because it was hard to find a parking spot and the only seats that were open were the ones at the sushi bar and people started to get rowdy... I'm sure it's after more than a few drinks. They are Monday thru Friday 3-7pm, and if it's weekend, I believe they honor the Happy Hour price all day.
It was an absolute fluke that we stumble upon this. But we went ahead and ordered the pork belly dish. It has a decent size of pork belly in that small little bowl (first photo), in it, there's some baby bak choy, a marinated duck egg, and tons of yummy sauce. It very much reminded me of the Twice Cooked Pork dish in Chinese cuisine.

I ordered the mussels (middle photo), which is no different than what you would get at any other Japanese restaurants. I forgot what roll is that, but I like it because it is different in that they use soy paper on the outside and normal kelp inside. It has a small bit of jalapeno in it with small bit of cream cheese. It's not a tiger eye, I promise, because this is something you don't see on a regular basis... guess I'll just have to go back and find out the name. :P

AKA Sushi House
2390 W.ALABAMA
HOUSTON
PHONE 713.807.7875
http://www.akasushi.net/

No comments: