Tuesday, August 16, 2011

HRW: Mo's ... A Place for Steak

As my second HRW this year, my friend picked Mo's. Since I've never been, I was more than happy to oblige. The atmosphere was very traditional steakhouse type decor, even though the name is nothing stuffy. The service for a big party like ours was definitely up to snub.

For first course, I ordered the Gatlin salad (see 2nd photo). That's not something I'm used to seeing in a normal steakhouse. From what I understand, that's a house specialty. The dish includes spinach, orange slices, little fried cheese pieces warmed, and nuts with a vinaigarette dressing. It was perfect for a summer night. Not heavy at all, definitely light and fun.

Second course, I was a tad boring and ordered steak. Hey, you're at a steakhouse, if you don't compare steak, what would you compare?! It was an 8oz filet, just the right size. The dish comes with a red wine sauce that reminds me of the sauce you get with roast beef. A little potato cake, with crispy outer layers, but inside is much like mashed potato, and asparagus.
For dessert, I had the chocolate cake. I was just lured by the fact that it's made with Ghirardelli chocolate. I'm a sucker, so sue me! The cake wasn't as heavy as I'd thought it'd be. The cream definitely balance the flavor out. It's not a heavy heavy type cream like whipped cream, but it was definitely a homemade cream for the topping.

Would I go back for steak or other dishes? Sure. Would that be my first choice? Probably not. In a town with a bunch of carnivores, this is not the only game in town. If everything is decent, as expected them to be, you have to have extra oomph to make me put you top of my list. For the price people pay at this place, you do expect excellent service. I see this is more of a seen or be seen crowd, the outdoor patio said it all. If you're trying to impress a girl, take her there. It will impress someone who thinks you know how to live it up. For a decent dinner, it's a good place to go. But for an awesome steak, I can think of several places that do better job on the food. I wouldn't mind going, but not on top of my list.

Mo's...A Place For Steaks
1801 Post Oak Boulevard, #1E
Houston, Texas 77056
Phone: 713-877-0720
http://www.mosaplaceforsteaks.com/houston/location_hou.html

No comments: