Friday, August 12, 2011

Colorful macs

So, I saw this entry a while back. I just never had the courage or comfort level to try these bright bright colors. Just because you just want to go with the standards. But the more sites I've seen, and more books I've read, the bright colors does draw you in.

Now, mine came out a tad greener than I intended, but it does have that light blue in there, I promise.
For our friends' party, who is also a macaron lover after their trip from Cannes, they are just dying to make some. But since we haven't had time to get together, I went ahead and made a bunch for the party.

One of the guests who didn't know how precious these are, just popped one into his mouth, and was like, that wasn't half bad. -_- hmm...
Of course, then I saw on Macaron Fetish, where she did 2 colors. Since we didn't know exactly how, and I wasn't prepared. So what we did was I piped half exactly the same time with David pipe the other half. That's how we made the 2 color ones. If you read more from Macaron Fetish, you see that her method is much more refine than mine... LOL.

The final flavors: Green (wanna-be-Tiffany) is chocolate mint ganache. Yellow is lemon white chocolate ganache*. Rose was milk chocolate rose ganache.

Basic Ganache Recipe
3oz of chocolate of choice
1/3cup of heavy cream
1 or 2 tbsp of flavor (optional)
1/8tsp of butter

Leave the butter to room temperature, set aside. Chop up chocolate into small pieces and place in a glass bowl. Heat up the cream and remove when you see bubble in the pan. Pour it over the chocolate. Start stirring(some people advise that you let it sit for 5 mins, I don't). I do put the butter in there at this point as I'm trying to get the lumps of chocolate out to smooth. Once it looked smooth, it's time to add the flavoring. Keep stirring, the chocolate should become smooth and shiny. Add coloring for white chocolate if you like.

Once it's all smooth, place a saran wrap over the chocolate but not over the bowl. Meaning, place the wrap on top of the chocolate so that it won't form a skin layer over the chocolate. Place it in either the freezer or fridge. If it's milk or dark chocolate it takes about 15mins in the fridge, 5 mins in the freezer for it to become ganache-ish. Check often, it should become this ribbon-like texture, not too liquidity but not solid either.

*The white chocolate ganache was a pain. After reading a bit, because it has less fat content in the chocolate, it took longer to 'solidify'. I put it in the freezer for 20 mins and it didn't become ribbon-like. It was still liquid all the way even though the flavor was good.

So, the trick apparently it's one of two things: either, I keep the same recipe but do it a day ahead to give it time (preferably overnight) for it to 'solidify'. OR, according to Baking 911, is to do 3 part white chocolate and 1 part cream.

Will have to test it out next round...

No comments: