Monday, November 21, 2011

Cupcakes -1

So, a while back, there was a LivingSocial/Groupon/UrbanDealight type deal popped up. This looks interesting and good for a girls get together, so I went for it.

What it is, is you get 1.5hrs to decorate 4 cupcakes. For the grown up version, you can bring wine and drink while you decorate, for the kids version obviously won't have any alcohol allowed.

This is my first one, and it is supposed to be a fish bowl. We put on blue icing as the water, dipped the cupcake in Nerds candy (those are our pebbles in the fish bowl). We used writing icing to draw some seaweeds. Then stuck 2 Swedish fishies as our fish. Not the prettiest I've ever done.

The second one, we were to do a chrysanthemum. We again iced our cupcakes and they have pre-cut mini marshmallows for us to dip in colored sugar. Once we dipped our colored sugar, we stick the marshmallows in like petals for the flower. Honestly, though, mine looks more like a porcupine than a flower. (^_^!)
The 3rd cupcake we get to use fondant. I've heard tons about fondant and understand what they can do. After all those years watching Ace of Cakes got to paid off in some way.

But after all that excitement and anticipation, all I ended up with was a cookie cutter of a flower and couple of the small hearts. Hmm...

The last one, we were in competition with each other. The theme is Make a Wish, like they do on Cupcake Wars. That is just way too abstract than I can think on a dime. So I just cut a bunch of leaves for my 'flower' and use writing icing to 'glue' them on. Who knew that it turns out to look more like a Poinsettia?! So, that it is!

At the end of the night, they had us vote for the best decorated cupcake. Frankly, I still think mine was pretty difficult to execute. BUT! I lost out to a lady who did a bra in honor of Brest Cancer month. Alright... guess that is a better purpose than mine.

All in all, it was fun. They do use up the entire 90 mins. The teacher is nice enough to refill your wine, but you really don't have time to snack. I brought some snacks for me and my friends, and we didn't even have time to open the box. Sugar Bunch Creation Cupcakes & Cocktail Party 3206 Jackson Street Houston, TX 77004 832-267-7876 http://www.sugarbunchcandybuffets.com/pages/CupcakesCocktails.htm

No comments: