Friday, July 6, 2012

Italian vs. French

Alright, I think it's time to go back to Macaron Fridays! Want to show you guys my experiment between using the Italian Method vs. French Method.
Basically, Italian method have you cook the sugar before mixing them together.  I'm still playing with it, and haven't quite mastered it, hence the hand holding seen here.
Do you see a hidden Mickey?
My friend's perfect piping led to perfect macs.  You can see the pied is higher using the Italian Method.  They also called it the fool-proof method.  Personally, I've tried at least 4 times before it turns out decent.  I will say that using Italian Method, you can be a little careless on your piping and the cookies will still turn out beautiful.
Here's the reveal of Hidden Mickey.  So, did not meant to do that, just that they started to encroach to each other's space and by the time it rest, it already became Mickey.
Contrast with the Italian Method, there's the good o' French Method.  I know what I'm doing there, see no hand holding!  I also piped them very carefully too.
Though they're a tad burnt (see the salmon color as opposed to pink color), they are flatter, and the feet are bigger.  

Personally, I'm partial to the French Method because after learning all the kinks, I now can manipulate the recipe to one egg white and produce precisely 15 shells.  I know exactly how long to go into the oven at what temp and know what will work if I tweak it one way or another.  The Italian Method is still a beast to me.  I've burnt sugar, or not pour them fast enough.  Also, seems like the most effective way of using Italian Method is to have at least 3 egg whites, sometimes you just don't need that much cookies, ya know?!

For sure, Italian Method as you for Tant Pour Tant (also known as one-to-one) on the dry ingredients, and French does not.  French ask about 1 to 1.2-ish ratio, don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

For Italian Method, I like to use Lady Macaron's basic recipe

For French Method, I like to use Not So Humble Pie's recipe. Go check out her troubleshooting notes too.  

No comments: