Monday, July 23, 2012

Sweet Paris

I've been driving down Rice Blvd and wondering when I can get in here to try their crepe.  Close friends know that I'm loyal to Melange Crepe. Shawn and his crew has been taking care of me and my friends from just walking up for a 'Patty Special' <- ask for it; to catering to parties.  They've always delivered.
However, being a Francophile that I am, I have to seek out and do some comparison as to what they have that's better, aside from a store front.


I will say the owner paid alot of attention to details in the store.  That's truly admirable, because antique anything from France is not cheap, and to create a smart space that incorporate a bit of France, I tip my hat off to them and their decorator.   I will say some placements of things such as soda machine and utensils were awkwardly place in front of the bathroom, and maybe another spot is more suitable, but that is not stopping people from going in.


I will say this, walking into this place you wouldn't have thought that for the past two decade this was a Thai restaurant.  They truly transform the place to a classy joint. 

As you can see, there's no trace of Thai in this France-inspired place.  Down to the details.
As you know, it means nothing if the food ain't good.  Their crepes is not so unique that you have to come back for it time and again.  I will say that not having to chase my favorite food cart is a convenient, but the menu is typical for any French/Crepe type of place.

The food is decent enough, it's not exactly a science, and you can't really screw up with what's inside the crepe.  They do serve sweet and savory crepes, and they have a separate breakfast crepe section that is served up till 11am.  As a matter of fact, they will not let you order a savory crepe if it's before 11am, you have to choose a savory from the breakfast menu.

They are not all crepes, they also serve panini, wine and beer.  While I may go back for the Frozen Nutella, because I didn't get to try it this round.  I hope it sticks around as it has potential.  I'm not going to betray Melange anytime soon, because to me, he can still whip up anything in a jiff and done well, but Sweet Paris got the right hours and not movable, that's the advantage they have over Melange.

Sweet Paris
Rice Village

2420 RICE BOULEVARD

HOUSTON, TX 77005

(713) 360-6266

http://sweetparis.com/

No comments: