Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Uchi Happy Hour - Pt 1

So I'm a little delayed on the Uchi visit, as a matter of fact, I've been back another time already, but I still want to show you what we had, and how yummy they are!
Trick to eating at Uchi is that we go during Happy Hour, it's easier to get a table, and you don't feel stress or hungry while waiting a table.  I know usually dinner time is around 7pm, but if you make a reservation at 7pm, you will probably get a table between 15-30 mins later.  Unless you arrived early, rarely you get seated the time you reserved for.  Reason: people like me, who go early and ate and ate and ate alot of food.
Brussels Sprouts - best Brussels Sprouts I've ever tasted.  If brussels sprouts tasted that good growing up, I think more kids would've eaten their vegetables.
Shaba Shio - which is grilled mackerel with in-house picked cucumber.  I'm not a big fan of pickles but these managed to be fresh, and I can eat these all day long.
Yakai Berry - I can eat their kale chips all day long too... they cut up the salmon, with pear, and blueberries.  Yes, there's blueberries on that plate.  We were instructed to put everything on the kale chips and eat it in one bite, and it's amazingly harmonized together.  Also a great summer dish.
Zero Sen - this has yellowtail, avocado, tobiko, yuzu, and the trick is to swipe your piece across the sauce to get all the tastes together.
Ika Mame - which is squid, with peas, fresh horseradish.  I'm usually not a fan of peas or horseradish but I am a fan of squid, and this was good despite of the other 2 things that I dislike... 
Hotate No Ichigozoe - scallops with freeze dried strawberry (the white crushed bits), thai pepper, and garlic.  It might sounded spicy, it's actually fresh tasting.
Uni No Congee - Crab with congee, with black truffle shaving, and 2 little quail eggs.  It's a great savory dish and it's not too over-empowering.
Okashi - cantaloupe sherbet, with buttermilk sabayon, and elderflower flavor.  As our bartender described it, it's like eating Tinkerbell.  It is super light and you don't feel weighted after a full meal, and this is a perfect end to the evening, light and energetic.

Uchi Houston
904 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77006
713-522-4800
http://uchirestaurants.com/houston/
Reservations highly recommended - they serve dinner only

No comments: