Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Poke Akua Pop Up dinner

So, randomly saw the Poke Akua Pop Up Dinner on Facebook
It was at Lincoln Bar, which I've never been before.  Luckily, my friend got there early and saved us a table.  When I got there a little after 5p, tables were filled but everyone were sitting comfortably.
This was our menu for the night.  The star is the 3 Poke bowls.  In case you don't know what Poke (po-key) is, read about them here.
To match up with the theme for the night, the bar has hurricane to match.  Mine has dark rum, passion fruit, and lemon.  Nice and refreshing for a hot muggy day.
This edamame was a win, it said it was wok smoked edamame with kimchi butter.  It was awesome.  Not too sure about the kimchi butter, as in, I didn't get the usual kimchi sour, but definitely got the spice from it.  Nice and yummy.
The spam masubi was on point.  Seemingly simple, yet well executed.  I know it's silly but it's true.  So good that I ordered more.
The top one is Hamachi Poke with yuzu soy sauce, green apple, negi oil, and pine nuts.  I didn't know what negi oil taste like, did not see any pine nuts, but love the sauce that went with it.  Not so much on the hamachi, not sure if it's not fresh enough or what.  The bottom is the Bluefin Tuna Poke.  Came with soy sauce, black sesame, bonito, and onion.  This bowl, the fish is fresher, but the rest of the sauce was so-so.  I did overhear that someone was saying the bowls were too bland.  I wouldn't exactly described them as bland, as they do have the taste, just not enough of it, I think.
The dessert is the coconut butter mochi cake with lemongrass ice cream, and candied seaweed.  I'm not sure if the little chunks were the candied seaweed, they reminded me of a Chinese candy that is molasses with nuts.  That was what I was reminded.  The ice cream was pretty much melted by the time it got to our table, didn't get to try that.  But the cake!  Oh goodness, the cake is on point.  It reminds me of some of the old fashion cakes made in Asia, with various flavor.  I don't mind having that again.

This night was put together by Chef Jason Liao & Pastry Chef Dory Fung and the nice folks at Lincoln Bar.  I read somewhere that they think Poke is the next food trend.  I'm not sure about that, but majority of the attendees are Asian, mostly was just trying to get some fresh and delicious food with some nice drinks.  So, not sure about the next food trend, per se.  That said, I think the idea is there, the taste needs to be tweaked, then again, to each their own.  Some of the food were on point, some I can take it or leave it.  The place was well organized and parking was not horrendous and I appreciated that.

More info on their Facebook page or other events
https://www.facebook.com/events/254746708218802/?active_tab=highlights

No comments: