Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cova


Since this is a short week, we'll do the short week thing too... :P

Last night, we invited some friends to go to Cova (Washington) with us. I got a Groupon that's about to be expired, might as well get drunk w/ good company.

They do have a very open typed decor due to the high ceiling, and brilliant that they are, the sun doesn't touch any part of the restaurant until after 6:30p and there's enough shade at the front door to devoid any sunlight to the wine bottles. After a glass of wine, some good tasting cheese, we all liked the coffee lavender cheddar, it was time to order some food.

I ordered the petit osso busco, the risotto was a tad drier than I like. The braised lamb looked good, but when mixed in with the mushroom typed thing was good. It does fall off the bone, but it wasn't as full of flavor as it looked.
On another occasion, we went to Cova (Kirby), which is tiny by comparison, not because the square footage was small, just how the place was laid out doesn't give you that open feeling as the Washington location does. They do have a wine room in the back and seemingly alot more wine for sell, but not alot in terms of seating.

The food also seems limited than before. I remembered the first time I went there, there was a wide arrange of food to go with the wine. Seems like they trimmed down quite a bit.

I had the house cured salmon. The cured salmon and capers went very well together. The creme fraiche, not so much. I'm sure under some culinary something or another, those flavor goes together, but it just didn't for me or my palette.


I went ahead and ordered a side of Goat Cheese Mash(ed potato). The lovely thing about the mash is that it's not too over-empowered by the goat cheese. It's ever so subtle and you can't really tell it's there, but you can definitely taste a hint. I love that.


Overall, I would say that their food wasn't as good as I remembered it. They used to have a better menu to go with the wine they have to offer. All of their server are friendly, and I can definitely appreciate that.


Sign up for their newsletter, they have specials, classes, and wine dinner announced thru that venue. Tuesday night is their Surf & Turf Night, $17.99 for a 10oz steak, diced potatoes, doused with olive oil. Unfortunately, it came with 2 little shrimp... I guess that's the surf part.


Cova Wine
http://www.covawines.com/index.php

600 Kirby Drive
Houston, Texas 77005
Phone 713-838-0700

5555 Washington Avenue
Houston, Texas 77007
Phone 713-868-3366

No comments: