Friday, July 29, 2011

Quick Mac update

Here's a quick mac update. After last time's failed dextrose experiement, I needed to have couple of batches to build up my confidence. On top of the humidity, I wasn't too sure if it'll turn out well or not.

So, I did one batch of chocolate and dusted it with edible gold powder. First of all, I've never had that before, ok maybe while drinking, but not to eat. Second, it was on clearance at Sur La Table, so I just decided to give it a try.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking... edible gold??? Well, this is what I found on one of the sites:

Generally speaking, there is no danger in ingesting Edible Gold. Gold is an inert metal that simply passes through the intestinal system. Edible Gold will pass out of the body after about 24 hours unchanged without causing any harm or reaction on the body
. (quoted from edible gold history)



Well, it wasn't easy to shake out the flakes, let me tell you. But there it is... it showed up on my macs. I did the 'decorating' before the sitting and the baking. So it has a chance to set into the batter. You really can't taste it, to be honest. It's a good decorating thing to do, but that's it for me.

Another batch I did was just plain jane. Simply that I'm trying to use up my Trader Joe's Almond Meal. While it's definitely a bargain, for $3.99 you get a pound; versus $6.99 at Whole Food in the bulk aisle, or $12.99 for Bob's Red Mill. The difference here is that they truly had almonds and grind it into meal including skins. So, when they bake, you see the little dots on them. Compare to the Whole Food bulk or Bob's, the cookie comes out nice and smooth because there's no skin involve. So, while it pains me to go for the more expensive ones, for the looks is kinda worth it.

What have we learn? If we're doing something dark colored like chocolate, it's ok to use the TD but for cute looks, go back to what we know.

No comments: