Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tunnel Talk - Kokoro

In Houston, if it rains, heat, 'snow', the tunnel provides a a good refuge. There are tons of food down in the tunnel. Now, I know what you think, boring sandwiches and bland salads. They do try to have decent food seeing that this is a captive audience.

I went to Kokoro for lunch. They're really known for the only sushi place in the tunnel that has been consistent instead of just a plain California Roll. They have seaweed salad and nice sushi combo box. The other thing they are known for is their teppenyaki.

This trip I went for the beef teppenyaki. Their new thing is instead of white rice, they also allow you to pick fried rice. I never had issue w/ the white rice, mainly because I felt that it absorb the sauce very well. Fried rice, however, I'm not too interested. But, in the name of research, I have to give it a try.

Well, the thing about not going with fried rice on a normal try is because there's so many flavors going on with the fried rice mix already. So, adding more it's simply that adding more. Not necessary for the better or not, just more doesn't necessary translate to better.

This round, I'm right, unfortunately. The fried rice is really dry. No matter how much sauce they give you, which is usually one ladle full of it, and I then I usually ask for a little more. It's not enough to battle the burnt pieces of rice, which are super stiff. Not enough sauce to soften that up. The beef also was drier than normal. Not sure what's going on with that. In the past I have good result from ordering the dish. I'll probably go back and try it again, just because I am one of those captived audience, but must see who's doing the cooking.

Kokoro
811 Rusk St (tunnel)
Houston, TX 77002

No comments: