Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sweet - Pt 1

When my friend Juliana posted these picture of this cute little bakery shop, I was highly curious. What? There's a place call Sweet that sell sweets? You've got to be crazy for not going to check it out. Of course, what lured me was that she posted some macaron photos... alright, I'm sold.
Located in the trendy City Centre complex, the fun thing about this place is that they are one of those live and shop type of complex. Just like the Domain in Austin, or Atlantic Station in Atlanta. The goal is to have you live and play in the same place. Their apartment looks spiffy, but that's also because the newness hasn't worn off yet. They have multitude of eateries around the complex. Anything from American Sports Bar, to Casual European. Easy grab a bite to fancy steak house. Fitting for a great variety of tastes.

In that sense, living in a multi-purpose complex, having coffee is a very important point. While they do not have a Starbucks on site, but there is one less than 3 blocks away, in the Town & Country complex. In this case, having Sweet is perfect. They have different kinds of coffee and tea, and not to mention cupcakes & macarons.

They charge $1.50 per macaron. They offer a few standard flavor, i.e. chocolate, coffee, vanilla, pistachio, raspberry (the one above). They also have blueberry lemonade (the one below), and whatever flavor they choose to try-out that day.
The thing about their macaron is this: almost all of the fruit flavors are made with jam filling. I hate to be snobby about this, but that's seems to be a cheater way out. Unless they made their own jam, it's not very impressive to make the cookies en masse and putting jam in between. Now, as you guys know I make my own macaron with various success to non-success, the reason why I'm poo-pooing the mass production is that they are not as difficult as making say 30. They have macaron mix by the 50lbs, eggwhites sold in Xlbs at a time. So, for a coffee place to make it w/ the capability, equipment, the level of ingredients they get is not something that little o' me have access to. I'm not dismissing that it didn't take skills, I'm just saying it's more assessible to them than to me, say.

Their cookie is moist, I'm not denying that. I still have a beef about the filling. The one thing I didn't like, is that they served it warm, which is one of the reasons why the shell is moist. But, sitting in the case in this little shop in this Texas heat, you can tell your jam filling is moving, and not stuck. That's because they should've put it in a refrigerated case. Or, put a few for display and go to the back and grab it. Poor little cookies.

Friend them on FB, they do mention what new flavor they're trying out. Also sometimes, they will post what discount they're offering.

Sweet
801 Town and Country Rd,
Ste A120
Houston, TX 77024
713-64-Sweet (79338)
www.sweethouston.com

No comments: