Monday, January 21, 2013

Mamak

I've been meaning to try Mamak for a while, it's like Banana Leaf across the parking lot, you get a line trying to get in.
I was thrilled to have another Malaysian place to go to, Banana Leaf was so popular that I get discouraged with the long wait.  You really have to catch a non-peak time to go there.
When I saw Chendol on the menu, I was jumping for joy.  Except, it was premature.  Instead of the drink we all know and love, they did it Taiwanese style into a shaved iced dessert.  The green jelly and red beans are in there, deep in the middle... You can still taste the coconut, but it's no drink.  :(
We needed some green, so we got some Chinese Broccoli with Oyster Sauce
Though this is not exactly a Malay thing, we got the salty fish and diced chicken fried rice.

I would say, when you come here, bring patience and don't come when you're starved, the service is slow, the wait is long.  trying to get your server's attention is like trying to play Frogger, you have to dodge people and wave the right time so they'd see you.  I'm not exactly impressed, but it is another option to BL.

Mamak
9889 Bellaire Blvd
Ste D238 (faces inside of the shopping center)

HoustonTX 77036
(713) 776-2388

No comments: