Thursday, May 19, 2016

Aka

Went for a quick dinner.  Was desperate for Ramen, and even though I was lucky enough to get a parking spot at Kata, I was not lucky enough to get a seat either at the bar or a table... 
...so went down the street to Aka instead.  
To start, I got the Yam Tempura.  I'm so glad that they are the first people smart enough to just have this order of yam by itself.  You usually have to get the vegetable tempura in order to get a few pieces of yam.  Which, let's be honest, is the whole reason for ordering it.  When was the last time you hear someone said, Hmm... Let's get it for the Asparagus Tempura?  Said no one ever!  So, I'm grateful a plate full of Yam Tempura.  Not to mention, the slices are huge... super yum!
Sadly, the bowl of ramen was just for looks.  Way too much soup and bamboo and not enough noodles or much else.  The egg was ok, there was meat in there, which is soft and easily pulled apart. But there was no flavor to the soup and I was mainly fishing for noodles.  Like I said, there weren't a lot of noodles to begin with.  Needless to say, this part of a tad disappointing.  Luckily, I had some yam left.

This is the first time ever at Aka that I'm disappointed with their food.  Usually sushi, sashimi, rolls, and cooked food are decent.  Not to mention awesome Happy Hour and drinks.  This is the first time I got something here that is subpar.  I hope that was just a fluke because I really like this place.

Aka Sushi
2390 W. Alabama
Houston, TX
713-807-8447
http://akasushi.net/pages/location.html

No comments: