Monday, August 27, 2012

HRW - Bistro Alex

Did you know that every meal you eat at a restaurant participating in Houston Restaurant Week, portion of it goes to the Houston Food Bank?   So not only did you get to eat something good, and do some good.
This round we went to Bistro Alex.  It is inside the Hotel Sorella but they have a separate entrance.  You don't have to valet, as a matter of fact, where you valet is near the entrance of the parking garage, so you can self-park if you want.
I love how they bring out the butter in the whipped cream dollip kind of manner.
First course, I selected their calamari, which was nice presentation and crisps to it.  The marinara sauce was addicting.
My friend Angie, got the Strawberry Salad, which I was eyeing for a bit.  It's like a wild field salad with greens, strawberries, cheese with balsamic vinegar.
For my main course, I got the filet.  It's laid on top of buttered mash potato with some wine reduction sauce drizzled on top.  And a lice of goat cheese was a nice touch and you don't see often.
For dessert, we each ordered something different so we can split.  I had ordered the Almond & Orange Scented Tea Cake.  Honestly, all the aromas added together was so nice and is perfect for any hot summer day in Houston.  You do have to dig thru the berries in order to find that almond taste.  But once you get there, it's nice with the berry sauce and the whipped cream.  Ironically, I love eating the orange zest, it was caramelized so it's nice and crunchy.
The other dessert as the Dark Chocolate Cake.  Even though it was so-so I love their ganache so much. I'm embarrassed to say that I kept scraping the plate and licking my fork... yes I have no shame.

Overall, this is definitely a place I'll go back to.  I think it's hard because City Centre is hard to find parking on a Thurs/Fri/Saturday night.  But I would like to check out their bar and then stay for dinner. I will warn you that there will be the seen-and-be-seen crowd there patrolling.  But if you don't dress to impress you won't feel out of place having a nice meal there.  I like that about that place.  People can be pretentious if they want to, the rest of us who know good food can just be enjoying our food comfortably.  

Bistro Alex
800 Sorella Court
(in the Hotel Sorella at CityCentre)
Houston, TX 77024
(713) 827-3545
www.bistroalex.com

No comments: