Thursday, August 9, 2012

HRW - Indika

I've been wanting to try Indika for quite some time now.   Being with Houston Restaurant Week is the perfect excuse to try.  Of course, that is really the whole idea of having HRW.  Try out restaurants that you've been on the fence about and hope that you have a great experience and go back for more.
Right when we sat down, they gave us a small dish of potato cake with apple and chutney.  The cake was nice and tasty and the chutney and apple help draw out taste buds to an otherwise plain cake.  This really makes you want to have more.
For my HRW starter: I ordered Crab Malabar.   It is crab and blackberry chutney stuffed on top of a little puff.  The bottle contained yogurt sauce, but it was a tad too sour for my taste, with or without the puff together. 
For my main course, I ordered the Lamb Shank.  It was very nice and soft that literally came off the bone like a Osso Busco would.  What surprised me was that they topped it with fried okra.  I'm not a big fan of okra at all, but they way they made it was so good that I wouldn't have minded having a small plate of it.
For dessert, I had the pistachio ice cream.  What drawn me to it was that they used saffron in it, and I've never had saffron in dessert that I'm aware of.   The saffron actually brought out the flavor, although I thought they can add more pistachio flavor into it.  They have chunks of pistachio nuts inside, so you might have a group of nuts while you're digging into your ice cream.

What surprised me about Indika was that not only are they a restaurant that many goes to, they also offer cooking classes every 4th Sunday, and yoga classes upstairs.  How crazy but make sense at the same time.  Both of those element is very much part of the Indian culture and to be able to embrace them altogether.  As if the owner has plenty of luxury time, she also opened Pondicheri.

Indika
516 Westheimer Rd, 
Houston, TX 77006
713.524.2170
http://indikausa.com/

No comments: