Monday, August 20, 2012

Local Foods

On a weekend after a pedi, it was nice to chill out and grab lunch in the Village.  I've been meaning to go to Local Foods some time now. Just haven't had an excuse, and this time we seized the opportunity.  
They pride themselves for getting the freshest local ingredients from farms around the area.  Everything from mint, meat, veggies, and even beer.
Cute idea for decorations at the tables.  It's hip and yes, definitely hot!
I got the Banh Mi sandwich.  It is their take of the classic Vietnamese sandwich.  At first I was quite skeptical, how can you improved upon an already good thing?  Well, they did.  They put in slow roasted pork, definitely nicely marinated.  With fresh veggie and not to mention freshly baked bread.  You can hear it as you bite into it.  The dish also comes with 2 sides, so we got the chips and I got the Tuscan Kale.  It didn't taste as good as I had hoped, the kale salad was mixed in with raisin, pine nuts and parmesan cheese.  The texture was ok but the taste wasn't as good as I had imagined. 

I also ordered their Mint-aide, which was lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange juice combine with mint.  It's very refreshing for a hot summer day.  From talking to the guys at the counter, the Banh Mi is one of their top sellers, the next one would've been their Crispy Chicken, maybe try that next time.

Over all, the space is nice, comfortable and good for a group hang out.  The food is definitely fresh, so fresh that you can taste every node.  The price however, is a bit high for a sandwich.  Mine was about $10.50, and granted, I expected all fresh ingredient will cost a bit more, but since a real banh mi cost less than $5 at times, paying double is hard to justify.  I'm not sure if associating with Benjy's have something to do with it.  And while I'm willing to pay for Benjy's pricing and it's creativity, not sure if I'm willing to pay that price for a to-go style sandwich just yet.

Local Foods
Rice Village
2424 Dunstan
Houston, TX 77005
713-521-7800
http://houstonlocalfoods.com/



No comments: